Retro Semi-Hollow Guitar w/FLAMED maple top!
Ships immediately after order processed!
1 similar version(s) available to choose from
"This is my personal favorite finish for the Thin Twin Guitars. The flamed qualities of the top wood really shine through the burst. I truly feel that the looks and feel of a guitar can inspire you to play different from guitar to guitar. You should put this in your hands to find out why it's a totally worthy axe for the guitarist who likes variety and contrast"
This Thin Twin looks like it came straight out of Hubert Sumlin's closet. With a beautiful cherry burst and gorgeous vintage-correct appointments, this guitar is a blues-lover's dream. The blade pickups sounds just as smooth as the originals, and the neck and fretwork are top-notch. Call Sound Pure today to get your hands on this piece of music history!
The K161 Kay Thin Twin electric guitar was originally introduced in 1952 and was known as the "Jimmy Reed" or "Howlin' Wolf" model. T-Bone Burnett played a Thin Twin to back up Robert Plant and Allison Krauss at the 2009 Grammy Awards. The Thin Twin was the first guitar able to create that unique blues sound from the special Kay interior bracing that made the instrument a favorite among blues players as well as rockers of the '50s and '60s.
The Thin Twin got its name from its two Blade pickups, known for their distinctive clean, sharp, sustaining sound. The Thin Twin's hollow-body chamber parallel bracing produces that gutsy, bluesy, raw sound, creating a clean natural distortion without feedback.
* Body: Single-cutaway, tone-chambered, hollowbody acoustic with special feedback-resistant bracing.
* Back: Parabolic arched maple
* Sides: Maple
* Top: 3-ply flamed maple
* Purfling: Multi-ply checkerboard celluloid binding
* Neck: Set one-piece, straight-grained Canadian maple with single-ply binding
* Frets: 20 medium nickel-silver
* Inlays: 6 block pearloid
* Fingerboard: 26" scale rosewood fingerboard with 12" radius
* Tuning Machines: Vintage-style, 3 per side
* Bridge and Tailpiece: Chrome individual saddle-style mounted bridge with height adjustment thumbwheels and chrome trapeze tailpiece
* Top Nut: Bone
* Headstock: Original gold chevron displaying 3-D raised "Kel-von-a-tor" style emblem
* Finish Coat: High-gloss polyester protective polymer
* Pickups: 2 chrome Thin Twin single-coil Blade pickups
* Controls: 2 volume, 2 tone, 3-way bat-style toggle selector
* Output jack: Side-mounted
Kay Vintage Guitars Luthier Roger Fritz walks us through the entire line of Kay Vintage Reissue Instruments, including the Kay Electric Pro Bass, The Kay Thin Twin, the Kay Jazz II and the Jazz specia...
Kay Vintage Guitars Luthier Roger Fritz walks us through the entire line of Kay Vintage Reissue Instruments, including the Kay Electric Pro Bass, The Kay Thin Twin, the Kay Jazz II and the Jazz special. Sound Pure is a full line dealer for Kay Vintage Guitars and Bass, and is eagerly awaiting your call to discuss these fabulous reissues of a very unique instrument. Call Sound Pure today toll free 888-528-9703.